Explore your options

Steps to uni for postgraduate applicants

There are two main types of postgraduate study – research and coursework.

  • Research requires you to undertake supervised research leading to a thesis or other piece of written material within a set period of time. Masters degrees and PhDs can be obtained by research and usually require a bachelor degree at honours level or equivalent for admission
  • Coursework is composed of units of study, which usually require you to attend lectures and tutorials. Graduate certificates, graduate diplomas and masters degrees can be completed this way.

Only postgraduate coursework applications are processed through UAC. For research programs, contact the relevant institution directly.

This space contains info and offers for future students.
To see these ads, turn off your ad blocker.

Admission criteria

Most institutions require you to have completed a relevant undergraduate degree or diploma to be eligible for admission to a postgraduate course. You may also require professional work experience. However, each institution sets its own admission criteria, so be sure to read the individual institution entries for details.

Applying through UAC

You are eligible to apply through UAC for postgraduate courses listed in the course search if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a New Zealand citizen
  • a permanent resident of Australia.

All international fee-paying applicants must apply directly to the participating institutions, not through UAC.

UAC does not process deferments for postgraduate courses. Contact the relevant institution directly.

How offers work

Offers are released throughout the admissions period. If your application is successful, you'll receive an offer notification from UAC. The institution making the offer will send you information about acceptance and enrolment dates and procedures.