Transferring to another course

Many students enrol in a course with a view to transferring into another course after completing a year’s study. A typical example is completing one year of a general degree (such as Arts) and then transferring to a more specialised degree (such as Arts/Law).

Transfers such as this are possible but very competitive, and you usually need to achieve excellent results in your first year. Each institution has its own requirements for transfers and you should check with the relevant institution for more information before you enrol.

In most cases you are not, in fact, transferring, but withdrawing from one course and applying for entry to another. You usually need to submit a new application through UAC for the new course. If you are transferring to another course in the same admissions period (eg transferring to a new course in semester 2) you do not need to re-apply. As your application is still active, you only need to change your preferences. Then, if you get an offer you can formally withdraw from your current course. It’s important to do this in order to avoid additional HECS fees or absent fail results on your academic record.