Deferment is where you are given permission from your institution to delay starting your course. Deferement is for a fixed period, usually six months or one year.

This means that if you receive an offer to study in 2017 and defer for one year, you'll start your studies in 2018. All deferments are granted subject to the course being offered the following semester or following year.

Who can defer?

It depends on the institution. Some institutions will only let you defer in special circumstances – refer to the institution deferment policies table.

How do I defer?

When you receive an offer to enrol in a course, information included with your offer will explain how to apply for deferment. You may have to accept the offer before you can defer.

Most institutions will ask you to provide a statement to explain why you wish to defer and what you'll be doing during this period.

If your application for deferment is successful, you'll receive written confirmation of your deferment from the institution concerned. This will also give instructions on how to take up your deferred course.

Do I have to pay to defer?

Some institutions charge a fee when you defer – refer to the institution deferment policies table.

Can I apply for other courses instead of taking up my deferred course?

Yes. If you were granted deferment from a course starting in 2016 but would now like to be considered for other courses starting in 2017, you can complete a new UAC application and include these courses in your list of preferences.

If you receive an offer to one of these new courses you can then decide whether to accept the new offer or take up your deferred course.

Can my offer lapse?

Yes. If you undertake degree studies or certain levels of TAFE study other than NSW HSC courses during your deferment year, your offer at many institutions will lapse. You'll need to re-apply through UAC and declare all of your studies. Refer to the institution deferment policies table and check with each institution.