Admission requirements FAQ

Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions about the kind of qualifications you'll need to apply for uni.

Is there any way that I can get my qualifications assessed before I apply?

UAC's Qualifications Assessment Service (QAS) provides prospective applicants with an assessment of their qualifications. This may be used as a guide by admissions officers for determining eligibility for courses offered by UAC's participating institutions.

What do institutions take into account if I've studied since finishing my Year 12?

Read tertiary and other studies and alternative entry for detailed information.

Are there any studies or qualifications that won't get assessed with my application?

Yes. The following courses aren't assessed by UAC:

  • Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificates I and II
  • Statements of Attainment
  • TAFE Statements
  • courses delivered by Australian private providers that are not accredited. Only those courses accredited under the Australian Qualifications Framework, or by the relevant state/territory accreditation authority, will be taken into account. Qualifications undertaken with private providers will not be assessed without proof of accreditation for the particular course
  • short courses run by a university (eg Project Management Essentials)
  • other short courses such as First Aid certificates.

If you have undertaken any of these qualifications, you don't need to include them in your application.

Is it easier to get into uni as a 'mature-age' student?

No. It's a common myth that when you are over 21 you are ‘mature-aged' and you can get into uni based on your age.

Your age alone is not enough to get you into uni. Generally you'll need some kind of qualification before an institution will make you an offer. For example, institutions may look at your Year 12 studies, your results in the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT), or your achievement in various alternative entry pathways.

I have studied overseas. Can I apply?

If you are applying on the basis of overseas secondary or tertiary qualifications only, contact the relevant institution/s to discuss your eligibility before you apply through UAC.

Read commonly accepted overseas secondary qualifications and non-assessable overseas secondary qualifications for more information.

If you have qualifications from countries where English is not the standard language of instruction, you must provide evidence of English language proficiency.

What if I believe I can demonstrate my proficiency in English but can't find the test or qualification in the institution's requirements?

If you believe you can demonstrate your proficiency in English with a test or qualification that's not included in an institution's ELP requirements, write to the admissions office at each institution to which you're applying and include supporting documentation. The institution will determine if the test or qualification is acceptable and record this decision against your application.

Do not send this information to UAC – we cannot make decisions about your English proficiency on behalf of institutions.

What are cut-offs?

Cut-offs generally show the minimum selection rank (which is the ATAR + bonus points) needed by the majority of Year 12 applicants when offers were made in January 2017. Cut-offs are shown in the course search.

Read cut-offs for more information.

Can I get an offer even though my ATAR is below the published cut-off?

Yes. There are a number of reasons why you can get an offer even though your ATAR is below the published cut-off. Read cut-offs for more information.

Which institutions accept the IB Diploma and Bilingual Diploma?

UAC's participating institutions accept the IB Diploma and Bilingual Diploma as equivalent to an Australian Year 12 qualification. Entry into courses is competitive and some courses may have additional selection requirements.

Will institutions consider my work experience?

Generally speaking, if you are a 2017 Year 12 student the answer is no, but for other applicants it might form part of the selection process. Read employment experience.

I've never studied before. Will I get accepted into university?

There are a number of alternative pathways available for people with no formal qualifications. There are also pathway courses for applicants who don't meet the entry requirements for a degree course.

I don't think I'm eligible for a degree course. Are there any other courses I can apply for?

You may be eligible for a pathway course (eg a Diploma). Most institutions offer these courses for applicants who don't meet the entry requirements for degree courses, or who need further support or preparation before studying at degree level.

Download fact sheets