Living expenses

It is a requirement of the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection that prospective international students can demonstrate access to at least A$18,610 a year to fund their living costs in Australia.

You'll need at least this amount to cover your living expenses. This is a rough guide only and will depend on many things, including where you live (eg Sydney, outer Sydney, regional NSW, Canberra); the type of accommodation you live in; and your lifestyle. Remember, your living expenses are separate from your tuition fees.

Living costs include items such as:

  • accommodation
  • electricity and/or gas
  • entertainment
  • food
  • personal incidentals
  • telephone and internet bills
  • transport (bus/train).

Establishment funds of around A$3,000 are usually needed to cover costs such as rental bonds for accommodation, furniture and telephone connection charges.

Other expenses may include textbooks, study aids, vacations or the running of a car.

Check each institution's entry for links to more information.

You'll also find useful information on living costs in Australia at