Admission requirements FAQ

Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions about the kind of qualifications you'll need to apply for uni.

Is there any way that I can get my qualifications assessed before I apply?

UAC's Qualifications Assessment Service (QAS) provides prospective applicants with an assessment of their qualifications. This may be used as a guide by admissions officers for determining eligibility for courses offered by UAC's participating institutions.

I have studied overseas. Can I apply?

You can apply as an international student through UAC with one of the following qualifications:

  • an Australian Year 12 in or outside Australia in 2017
  • an International Baccalaureate in 2017 or May 2018
  • a New Zealand National Certificate of Educational Achievement Level 3 in 2017.

All other students must apply directly to the institutions, not through UAC.

What if I believe I can demonstrate my proficiency in English but can't find the test or qualification in the institution's requirements?

If you believe you can demonstrate your proficiency in English with a test or qualification that's not included in an institution's ELP requirements, write to the admissions office at each institution to which you're applying and include supporting documentation. The institution will determine if the test or qualification is acceptable and record this decision against your application.

Don’t send this information to UAC – we cannot make decisions about your English proficiency on behalf of institutions.

What are cut-offs?

Cut-offs indicate the lowest selection rank (ATAR or equivalent + bonus points) accepted for entry into a course. The international course search shows the previous or predicted cut-off required by international Year 12 applicants for entry into each course. Use these cut-offs as a guide when considering your course. Cut-offs for entry in 2018 will not be known until selection is actually made during the offer rounds.

Read cut-offs for more information.

Can I get an offer even though my ATAR is below the published cut-off?

There are a number of reasons why you can get an offer even though your ATAR is below the published cut-off. Read cut-offs for more information.

Which institutions accept the IB Diploma and Bilingual Diploma?

UAC's participating institutions accept the IB Diploma and Bilingual Diploma as equivalent to an Australian Year 12 qualification. Entry into courses is competitive and some courses may have additional selection requirements.

Will institutions consider my work experience?

Generally speaking, because you are a 2017 Year 12 (or equivalent) student the answer is no, but in some circumstances it may be taken into account for admission purposes. The course descriptions in the international course search will indicate whether or not your work experience will be considered. If so, you will need to submit a statement of service when you apply.

I don't think I'm eligible for a degree course. Are there any other courses I can apply for?

You may be eligible for a pathway course. Most institutions offer this type of course to applicants who don't meet the entry requirements for degree courses, or who need further support or preparation before studying at degree level.