Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance for international students to help them with the costs of medical and hospital care while they are in Australia. It does not, however, cover dental treatment. As dental services in Australia are expensive, you should have your teeth checked and any necessary dental work completed before you leave home.

The Australian Government requires all international students on a student visa and their dependants to purchase an approved OSHC policy from an Australian registered health fund for the duration of their visas. OSHC is not included in your tuition fees.

Belgian and Norwegian students, however, are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements; they are considered to have met ‘adequate insurance’ requirements due to a reciprocal arrangement between the Australian Government and the Belgian and Norwegian governments. Some Swedish students may also be exempt from OSHC.

For more information, visit the Department of Health website.

How do I organise OSHC?

You must organise and pay for OSHC before you arrive in Australia. Once you receive an unconditional offer to study at an Australian educational institution, you'll be required to pay your OSHC charge at the same time that you pay your tuition fee deposit.

You can arrange to pay for your OSHC through your educational institution or you can choose your own OSHC provider from another Australian registered private health insurer. 

Each institution’s preferred OSHC provider is indicated in their general information and there is a list of registered OSHC providers on the Department of Health website.