English language proficiency

English language proficiency (ELP) is an admission requirement for all tertiary courses.

Qualifications that usually satisfy ELP

International students applying through UAC may demonstrate ELP through one of the following qualifications:

  • Australian Year 12 (where they have qualified for an ATAR)
  • New Zealand NCEA Level 3 (where they have qualified for an Interstate Transfer Index and fulfilled university entrance requirements as set by NZQA)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) (where they have been awarded the IB Diploma or Bilingual Diploma).

Note that international applicants completing the ACT Senior Secondary Certificate and the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) are required to achieve a specified minimum score in English subjects in order to meet the Australian National University's ELP requirements.

Additional requirements for IB Diploma undertaken outside Australia

If you undertook your IB Diploma or Bilingual Diploma in one of the following countries, you do not need to provide proof of ELP:

  • American Samoa
  • Australia
  • Botswana
  • Canada *
  • Fiji
  • Ghana
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland)
  • United States of America
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe.

* Applicants undertaking the IB in Quebec need to undertake English A at higher or standard level to meet the Australian National University's requirements.

Being born in Australia or one of the countries listed above doesn't automatically pass you for ELP. You must also have at least one of the three assessable qualifications.

Australian Government requirements

The Australian Government has separate English language requirements for students applying for student visas from some countries. For more information, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Additional qualifications accepted by each institution

Institutions have outlined the additional tests and qualifications they accept as proof of proficiency in English.

Check the English language proficiency requirements by institution list.

If you believe you can demonstrate your proficiency in English with a test or qualification that's not included in the list of general assessable qualifications or an institution's list of additional ELP qualifications, write to the admissions office at each institution to which you're applying and include supporting documentation. The institution will determine if the test or qualification is acceptable and record this decision against your application.

Don’t send this information to UAC – we cannot make decisions about your English proficiency on behalf of institutions.  

English proficiency test results

If you don't have the required qualifications, you can submit English proficiency test results that meet the minimum requirements for admission.

If you need to sit a test, submit your UAC application first and include details of your proposed test in the ELP question. Provide UAC with a copy of your results as soon as you receive them.

To sit the test, contact the individual test centres directly. Before you register, check with the institution to make sure it will accept the test result as proof of ELP for the course you want to study.