ES Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions about applying for Equity Scholarships through UAC.

How can I maximise my chances of getting a scholarship?

  • Check your application carefully before submitting.
  • Check whether you need to provide supporting documents in the ‘Upload documents’ tab via Manage your application after you’ve submitted your application.
  • Provide your supporting documents as soon as possible after submitting your application, but no later than seven working days prior to a scholarship offer round (to be considered in that round).

For example, if you mention in your application that you have a long-term medical condition or disability, you must submit documents confirming these circumstances.

I have a disability and I'm having difficulty completing the application. What should I do?

If you have a disability and are having problems with the UAC application process, call us on 1300 275 822 (from mobiles on (02) 9752 0200 or from overseas on +61 2 9752 0200) between 8.30am and 4.30pm (Sydney time) Monday to Friday, email us using the enquiry form or write to the Equity Unit, UAC, Locked Bag 112, Silverwater NSW 2128, Australia. We will help you with your application.

I’m an enrolled student but also an applicant for admission. Which one should I enter in my Equity Scholarships application?

Both. It’s vital that you enter details of your current enrolment and your application for admission in your Equity Scholarships application. You’ll only be considered for a scholarship offer by institutions at which you’re currently enrolled and/or from which you receive an offer of admission. If you don’t enter all your application and enrolment details, you may miss out on a scholarship offer. After you have submitted your Equity Scholarships application you should update any changes to your enrolment status through Manage your application.

My Equity Scholarships application didn't ask me which scholarship I want to apply for. Why not?

Your Equity Scholarships application gathers all the information needed to allow institutions to determine which of their scholarships you’re eligible for. When you apply, you don’t have to nominate which Equity Scholarship you’re applying for as you’ll be considered for all scholarships for which you’re eligible.

Why do I need to provide documents?

It’s necessary to provide the documents requested:

  • to verify that you’re eligible
  • to assist in ranking your application in relation to other applications.

I've missed the seven-day deadline for submitting my supporting documents. What can I do?

Don’t worry if you’ve missed the seven-day deadline; just submit your documentation as soon as you’re able. You’re Equity Scholarships application remains valid for the entire admissions period and will be updated as further documentation is provided.

UAC will make every effort to assess all supporting documentation submitted before institutions make their scholarship offers, but cannot guarantee the assessment of documents submitted outside the required time frame.

What’s a Centrelink (or other Commonwealth) means-tested income support payment?

Income support payments are financial assistance administered by the Australian Government and include (but are not limited to) Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY. These payments are made based on an assessment of the income and sometimes assets of the applicant, their partner, carer or supporter. For information about Centrelink means-tested income support payments, visit the Department of Human Services website.

Note: Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B are not means-tested payments.

I’m not currently receiving a Centrelink means-tested income support payment but have applied for one (or will apply for on in the near future). Can I still apply for financial hardship?

Yes. If you expect to receive a Centrelink means-tested income support payment in the future, you’ll be asked to indicate in the online application when you expect to receive your first payment (before 1 July or after 1 July).

You won’t be asked to provide documents, however once your first Centrelink payment has been credited to your bank account, you need to let us know.

Go to Manage your application and answer Yes to Are you currently receiving a Centrelink means-tested income support payment? to change your disadvantage type and enter your CRN.
Or you can email your name, ES application number and Centrelink CRN to and confirm that you’ve received your first payment. We’ll then update your assessment.

Quick Equity links

You'll need your ES application number and ES PIN to log in and access your outcomes.
Check the lists of institutions participating in each offer round.